I’ve been a seed-stage investor since 2010, focused on co-founding and/or supporting and investing in early-stage companies in the consumer space (or consumerized interfaces for enterprise). I am a product design and consumer-behavior obsessive, following a career as an entrepreneur (Behance), executive (Adobe), and a quick stint as a traditional VC at Benchmark (before becoming a Venture Partner). I support mission-driven teams that value design and are solving a problem by connecting and empowering people.
Airtable, Amino, Anchor, August, Blink Health, Cheddar, Contently, dydx, Earnest (acq), eShares, FiftyThree, Flexport, Fundera, HQ, HyperScience, Lumi, MakeSpace, ManagedByQ, MissionU, MoveWith, Outdoor Voices, Paddle8 (acq), PartPic (acq), Periscope (acq), Pinterest, Remix, Revue, Roman, SaySpring, SkipTheDishes (acq), sweetgreen, Thrive Market, Uber, Warby Parker, and several others in the early stages.
Key areas I focus on with teams in my portfolio:
- Product - specifically crafting the first mile, structuring a design-driven product team, blending copy and UX, optimizing the defaults, considering ego analytics, and other fun stuff.
- Go-To-Market - determining the right beta audiences, iterating sales/growth initiatives, priming network effects, and building the right KPIs/analytics.
- Narrative - positioning is as important for the team’s perspective of their own product as it is for external marketing. A product’s story matters.
- Building Teams - helping build teams (most often on the design, engineering, and business development fronts). I admire teams that value initiative over experience. I also enjoy the challenge of scaling operations without compromising what differentiates a business and culture. After all, the science of business is the things that scale, the art of business is the things that don’t.
- Execution - helping leaders develop (and destroy) process to foster a culture with a bias-towards-action. Much of success simply boils down to capturing everything actionable and executing (and the years I spent researching MAKING IDEAS HAPPEN made this abundantly clear).
As a Venture Partner for Benchmark, I help cover the consumer product space, serve on the board of one of our companies, and support portfolio companies on the design, marketing, and product development fronts. I also work closely with a number of other earlier-stage funds.
I have an affinity for teams that aren't set on defying a likely outcome, but rather want to make it happen in a better way. The best teams I come across are parlaying forces already underway to their favor. They are remarkably imaginative yet grounded by the present. They are driven by empathy for those suffering the problem rather than passion for one particular solution. They are optimistic about the future but pessimistic enough about execution. And they are never ever satisfied with the current state of their product.